Follow us on Twitter      |   Join us on

Information Security

Malaysia to take foreigners’ biometric data

From 1 June 2011 onwards, foreigners entering Malaysia will have their thumbprints taken under a biometric system.

Photos

View photos

Covering all 96 entry points, this security effort is meant to register and monitor foreigners from their arrival until departure, said Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.

In parliament, Yassin explained that foreigners will have their thumbprints taken and processed within 20 seconds upon arrival at the immigration check-point.

“The system will monitor them and a warning slip will be issued should they overstay, so necessary action can be taken,” said Yassin. “The system is capable of tackling various immigration issues, including falsification of documents, overstaying, and misuse of visas, passes and permits.”

The National Foreigners Enforcement and Registration System (NERS) will be linked to the police’s existing Biometric Fingerprint Identification System (BIOFIS) to grant law enforcers access to the movements of foreigners with criminal records.

Immigration Director-General Datuk Alias Ahmad said the fingerprint database was far more efficient in crime prevention as it would alert the checkpoint staff if a foreigner had entered the country before using a different document or identity.

The Deputy Prime Minister also pointed out that such biometric systems have proven effective in countries like Singapore, Australia and Hong Kong.

For queries regarding the issuance of visas and visit passes in Malaysia, kindly contact the Malaysian Immigration Department at: 03-8000 8000

or visit their website for more information.

Rate this article

52 Comments

On 15 May 2011 omo wrote:

someone that entered malaysia and on the process overstayed and deported, if the person want to come and again will he or she be allowed?

On 3 June 2011 Hitoribocchi wrote:

@<a href=”http://www.futuregov.asia/comments/cr/27/1378/#c998”>omo</a>:

That is the discretion of the Customs & Immigration Department to decide. Usually, those who have overstayed/deported are not allowed to return back to Malaysia.

The responsibility lies with the travelers to ensure they do not overstay.

On 28 June 2011 jules8099 wrote:

is it thumbprint or the two index finger print that the malaysian customs take?

On 28 July 2011 Paul Raymond Simpson wrote:

Thisis an excellent country. What a wonderful system that has been launched. This will help us all in so many ways. Finally, after years and years of waiting, our questions have been answered. It is a commendable effort on the part of the Government. Critics and cynics can say what they want but it will be of little value as the Government has shown what it is capable of and the critics now are only fit for the newspapers's small columns. Once again, kudos Malaysia, and well done. A truly great nation!

On 4 August 2011 Ian wrote:

Hi I just wanna know if there any fee for this? Im holding outsource permit? Im base at penang can i do the procedure here? or i have to go to KL? Please answer this thanks

On 11 August 2011 azizan wrote:

Ian, off course it can be done in Penang Immigration

On 19 October 2011 bobby wrote:

can i go back to my country using the fingerprint biometric data. my entry visa was expired but my employer here do the fingerprint for me. so i will go back to my country, it is possible to use the biometric data without any charges of overstaying?

On 30 October 2011 jawaid wrote:

when biometic start again plz mail me

On 28 November 2011 khiem wrote:

there is a FIlipina girl working in old town ,cyberjaya. But she doesn't have a passport working visa.

On 28 November 2011 khiem wrote:

there is a FIlipina girl working in old town ,cyberjaya. But she doesn't have a passport working visa. She's been there working for almost a year without a visa. then when biometric comes in, they said she applied biometric. how come she can get a biometric when immigration knows that her passport was renewed and no chop or NO WORKING VISA at alL.
this is such a discrepancy. I thought immigration of malaysia can not be buy.then how come? well, i want to know about the laws of malaysia about biometric.

On 28 November 2011 khiem wrote:

DOES MALAYSIA BIOMETRIC LAWS SAYS THATYOU ALLOWED FOREIGNERS TO WORK AND BE GIVEN A WORKING VISA IF HER PASSPORT WAS TOTALLY EXPIRED AND WAS RENEWED TONEW PASSPORT TO COVER UP THE OLD PASSPORT BECAUSE IT IS EXPIRED? DOES IT SAYS THAT YOU CAN GIVE WORKING VISA TO FOREIGNERS WITHOUT OFFICIALLY CHOPPED BY IMMIGRATION THAT HER PASSPORT VISA IS NOT EXPIRED?”

On 28 November 2011 khiem wrote:

i wonder… i hope there is no corruption in biometric… thanks!

On 28 November 2011 khiem wrote:

if biometric is for foreigners who are overstaying for almost 2 years already , then i will not be bother for this employees in cyberjaya who applied for biometric but then this girl has no wroking visa for almost 2 years.
i wonder all foreigners can just get biometric easily even lost passport, change passport, expired passport, expired visa…
is that the use of biometric?
does biometric means, you can just pay your 2 years expired visa to be given and allowed to have a working visa? i wonder. how does biometric and immigration deals with foreigners illegal staying here in malaysia and yet manage to work still for almost 2 years.

On 13 December 2011 chantal wrote:

Hi Malaysia Government. I'm a foreigner and before I enter Malaysia last October 2011as a tourist my finger print was scanned in the immigration system. I have heard that massive scan for Biometric for foreigners living illegal are done last august 2011..My question is Does my fingerprint in the immigration considered as my Biometric like the illegal who have a copy of there own biometric..Another is when will be the amnesty ended. This amnesty is a great help for foreigners who are illegal, it was a chance for us to legalize our self here in Malaysia and abide with their Laws….Thank You

On 6 January 2012 mohammad wrote:

hi…if one foreigner overstayed in malaysia and when biometric come he go immigration for biometric to go back the country…is he can come back again in malaysia for tourist? Hope any response.tq

On 22 February 2012 marilyn wrote:

i just came back here in philippines last february 10.,and im using biometric cause i need to come back philippines even my biometric still not done cause i have agent that she process my working permit.,please my question is how i can come back again to malaysia and continuing my work as a cashier in a cafe please im just coffuced about this i have biometrics but when i entered malaysia as a tourist and my visa still have when i do biometrics…hope for ur concerns…..

On 6 March 2012 Janita Niepes wrote:

Dear Sir / Madam,

I was separated from my son for almost 17years.. When I saved the money , I call my son to visits me here in Malaysia.and he got 3 months visa from Philippine Embassy.. After a week we heard about this BIOMETRIC in order to stay till 6 months. My friend thus told me about this BIOMETRIC and we went to an agent and applied.
My son stayed with me for almost 5 months.
And he returned back to Philippine on the 1st week of January 2012.
Before the Biometric expired.

Sir/Madam, Does my son will carry the bad record because of BIOMETRIC? And do you think he can comeback here to join or to be with me again? Can I apply dependent pass for him ?

Sir/madam please inform me what is the best thing I need to do..
Thank you..

Mrs. Janet
P/R holder.

On 19 March 2012 Ali Shaukat wrote:

Salam, plz let me know about Bio metric for Foriegn Students here at Malaysia. No student did finger prints/thumb impression during last year process. Now i want to go my country for a month. so can i go? or without finger prints cant go???

On 24 July 2012 Camilas wrote:

I was overstayed in Malaysia 1 1/2 years and I have registered under Biometrics program.last April I came back my home country to Sri Lanka.My quession is… I want to come to Malaysia again.what can I do for it?

On 26 July 2012 Letsy labay wrote:

Hi im lesty,how can i go back to philippines,im overstay here in malaysia two months.i dnt have permit,im willing to work here but i have a problem my son.i have a employer,she not do my permit because i say i need go back to my country.

On 8 August 2012 siew wrote:

My wife had lost passport and overstayed in Malaysia then spent time in jail here and was deported in May, 2012 can she return with new passport? or would she be banned from entering?
Immigration officers used to say must stay away 3 months but i am wondering now they are fingerprinting all visitors etc,
Should she return with new passport? is there likely to be a problem? should she apply visa first in her country from Malaysian high commission with me as sponsor?

On 8 August 2012 SIEW wrote:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Yes, i'm a Chinese Malaysian citizen. we have 2 children. Please, i need help and advice

On 8 August 2012 Nora wrote:

SIEW: There's nothing to be worried. I'm immigration officer with 10years of experience. Your wife can travel back to Malaysia but, must be after 3month from the date of deportation. If your wife was deported in January, she can only come back April. Make sure, she come back with passport and any other travel documents. Fingerprinting stared from 1st June this year, if your wife was deported after 1st June, 2012 she must stay in her country for 3 month before coming back to Malaysia, but if she deported before June, she can get new passport from her country and come back at anytime. MAKE SURE YOUR WIFE COME BACK WITH A PASSPORT AND NEVER ALLOW HER TO OVERSTAY

On 8 August 2012 Saras wrote:

Hi I had a friend from Sri Lanka who visited me in February
But overstayed here in Malaysia . The overstayed
Happen because of some confusion as per her visa
Issued by Sri Lanka is 3 month but upon arrival in Malaysia
They only gv her 1 month and we'd only notices
This a week before her 3 month end. But we paid
The fine and send her back . But now she would
Like to come again to Malaysia and work as a
Maid. Is she allowed to re enter Malaysia.

On 24 August 2012 R wrote:

Question: If you have entered Malaysia as tourist last 2001 and over stayed for 3 days. then you plan to go back this 2012, is it possible to go back as a tourist again?

On 11 September 2012 ali wrote:

whats the solution about those people who have fingerprint but that is not in immigration system?Plz let me know if possible!

On 25 September 2012 Riyas wrote:

I'm Riyaz from srilanka know I'm planing to go Malaysia first time in visit visa looking for new jobs suppose I get jobs but my visa was expire any problem if any punish

On 8 November 2012 mirza a sif wrote:

Hi sire i need to know that can in nov or dec 2012 malaysian immigration can open once again open finger print to immigrants illegal ppls

On 13 December 2012 sarah asis wrote:

Hi,i just ask is it possible to be done the worker permit without finger prints in which is already expired? Thanks..

On 18 December 2012 Ash wrote:

Dear sir/madam
i want to know my friend entered in malaysia as tourist from india, his visa is expired, he overstayed 3 months, how can he return india and pls also tell if there is any punishment.
Pls reply asap.

On 2 January 2013 pwong wrote:

for passporting assistance please contact +6012-3700248

On 2 January 2013 pwong wrote:

apologies, typo error - +6012-3799248. Kindly ignore earlier number.

On 4 January 2013 ally wrote:

Dear Sir / Madam,
I just want to ask if it's a big deal in IMMIGRATION if I just visited last December and want to visit back this January. I want to use my reaming vacation leaves and my travel is for holidays/pleasure. Thanks!

On 4 January 2013 ally wrote:

Dear Sir / Madam,
I just want to ask if it's a big deal in IMMIGRATION if I just visited last December and want to visit back this January. I want to use my remaining vacation leaves and my travel is for holidays/pleasure. Thanks!

On 13 January 2013 nicky wrote:

Hi im nicky i want to ask im coming here in malaysia as a tourist visa last dec 2012 and i apply my own visa start feb 2012 but until now i cannot get my visa because the money so now is jan 2013 but i give the down already to the agent and they waiting me for medical. Can u help me because i have new employer and i ask to help my visa my employer they will be process that easy or its complicated.please let me know what can i do?thank u

On 31 January 2013 sugar wrote:

hi i am filipina,just wanted to ask if we are overstay for 6 months and our company willing to process our permit which and whom we can arrange it accordingly?We are 17 filipinos in total and we are waiting for some help on how we can get the permit?please help us…..we badly need your help immigration officer! we are willing to pay any amount just to replenish only our permit.hoping for some kind person who could help us!

On 31 January 2013 sugar wrote:

need a help on our problem! please call me…0106695487…..i badly need a help!!!!

On 18 February 2013 ahmed wrote:

hey ,i just overstay in malaysia i pay the fine and they took my finger prints an near the special pass it was written that 2 year differnce i think banned?i want to go back can i go?

On 18 February 2013 ahmed wrote:

hey ,i just overstay in malaysia i pay the fine and they took my finger prints an near the special pass it was written that 2 year differnce i think banned?i want to go back can i go malaysia?

On 20 February 2013 SPUVANES wrote:

I have my relation from sri lanka who came under tourist visa however we just notice in her pasport that her entry in malaysia valid for 30 days. she overstay by 10 days. what to do? can she get her tourist visa renew??

i want to sent her off and she want to come back after a month is that possible? help its urgent!!

On 26 February 2013 Clarice Africa wrote:

or visit their website at: http://www.i… for more information.

On 13 March 2013 gean wrote:

hi good afternoon sir/madam…….. im overstayed in malaysia for 9 months i get i get bio metric i go to putrajaya to settle my problem coz i need to go back my country i bring my valid passport and my teckets i pay my overstayed….then they chop my passport to exit….my question is my passport get chop a 6-p pati memo. what is that meaning…if my passport get chop 6-p pati and memo i can come back again to malaysia as tourist….please me back asap. thank you so much .

On 13 March 2013 gean wrote:

sir/madam its me again i get deported last nov 24 2011 im in philippines now more than one year already…my passport get chop 6_p pati with memo 2011 can i come back again as tourist now 2012?….thank you for reply

On 18 March 2013 bibi wrote:

hi..my friend want to go back philippines as a vacation for 1 week ..but she confuse..she can still come back here even her passport still have chop of tourist?but she got the working permit already…and some more her passport got sticked the wrong person but chop also with void by the imigration..is there any problem if she come back here…?

On 18 March 2013 Clarice Africa wrote:

Kindly direct your queries to the Malaysian Immigration Department at: 03-8000 8000

or visit their website at: http://www.i… more information.

On 29 September 2013 harry wrote:

hello , i m harry , one of my friend went to malaysia on tourist visa , but the malayisian immigration not allow him to enter in malasiya and send him back after three days , kindly tell me how long time he is banned to enter in malasiya

On 27 January 2014 Jaya wrote:

Hi
I worked in Malaysia. Since the company got no projects, i was asked to take a break and find for another job. I got a job outside malaysia and have not gone back to Malaysia to cancel the permit and the permit got expired. Can i enter into malaysia again with another employer's permit

On 4 February 2014 manu wrote:

Dear sir ,
Am an Indian . My husband went to Malaysia 5 months before for tourist but they met an agent and applied for dp10 and dp11 visa .He took their passport saying that it has to b submitted in embassy .they have paid all money .they had few days overstay or not am not confirmed .their DP11 visa approval is being displayed on the Malaysia website www.imi.gov.my. They did as he said .they did not work anywhere but stayed where the gave the place .Now its been 4 months we dont know his status and he dont even have the passport with him .and the agent is also not found .Few days before they just ran out from where they were kept .They are without bags without money dying in Malaysia and don't know anything about the country PLZ HELP ME HE IS IN BIG PROBLEM OVER THERE. WITOUT PASSPORT AND MONEY. I Dont want him to go to jail ..PLZ SAVE HIM AND TELL ME SOME WAY I CAN SAVE HIM AND GET HIM BACK TO INDIA HOME.

On 7 February 2014 Tina wrote:

Can the biometic can read in the other country like in singapore or hongkong, it mean they have the machine to read the chip and take ur information from the chip, or just like normal, they need to scan the pp.

My question is do another country can have the database of nother citizen base on the cheap on the pp. do they share the database like that. Is it safe?
Any one can answere

On 6 June 2014 k wrote:

My friend's girl friend is foreigner. She was working in Malaysia for 2 years. . However she was overstay in malaysia.

After that she was back to her home country. my friend wants to get married with his girl friend now. he flight to the girl's home country, he wants to bring the girl back to Malaysia to get married. However he immigration officer not allow the girl enter to Malaysia.

They have fall in love in Malaysia, 3 years plus..is there a way my friend can bring the girl back to malaysia and married to her?

Thank you.

On 26 August 2014 azzer wrote:

i have a working permit, whenever i checked it online it is there. The problem is the agent is no where to find and so as the employer. I request for DP10 permit but what they issue is FDH visa. The agent no where to be found but the status on line in for sticker issuance.
I went to immigration and said file a police report against the employer and if overstay will be blacklisted for 5 years.
What to do? and how will i know if i had biometric or no i entered Malaysia many times… so how will i know? thanks

On 2 September 2014 juvelyn calvo wrote:

hi i just want to ask if i can go back to malaysia if i get the beometric last 2011…i get that because im overtsay one day because my father delayed buy ticket to go back in phil then we forgot thats my 1mont vecation is finish…..i need your reply tnx……cause im planing to work in malaysia…still i can go back?